The United States produces a staggering 1.5 billion gallons of ice cream and similar frozen desserts every year. But have you ever wondered about the origins of these cool and creamy treats?
Let's dive into the rich history of ice cream and whet your appetite for a delicious sundae.
- A.D. 54-68: Iced desserts were a luxury in ancient Rome. Emperor Nero sent slaves into the mountains to mix snow with honey, nectar, and fruit pulp in small paper cups.
- A.D. 618–907: During the Chinese Tang dynasty, the first commercialized ice cream recipe was created with heated fermented milk, camphor, and flour. A staggering 94 ice men ensured there was always enough frozen treat to go around.
- 1744: American colonists modernized ice cream and introduced it to the New World. A Scottish colonist served Maryland's Governor a delightful mixture of iced strawberries and milk, marking the first written account of ice cream in the United States.
- 1782: George Washington recorded in his journal that he and Martha had a "cream machine for ice" for summertime treats.
- 1843: Nancy Johnson of Philadelphia revolutionized ice cream making with her patent for an artificial freezer. Her design, still used today, featured a tub, cylinder, lid, dasher, and crank.
- 1851: Jacob Fussell, a dairyman, opened the first commercial ice cream factory in Baltimore, Maryland. He sold his surplus ice cream in plastic ice cups to surrounding towns, earning him the title "father of the wholesale ice cream industry."
- 1880: The first ice cream sundae was developed in Buffalo, New York, paving the way for old-fashioned soda shops and milkshakes in every flavor.
- 1939: Ice cream became a symbol of America, so much so that Mussolini banned it in Italy. U.S. soldiers heading to Europe were often served ice cream in paper cups with lids.
So the next time you enjoy your favorite ice cream, remember its colorful history and savor every bite! And if you're in the frozen dessert industry, be sure to check out our wide selection of ice cream supplies and custom branding options to enhance your business.
- Ten Facts About Ice Cream You Didn't Know Before
- The Sweet, Creamy, Dreamy History of Ice Cream
- Sweet Science: Make Your Own Ice Cream
- 5 Interesting Tidbits About Ice Cream: America's Favorite Dessert
- The True Wonders of Vanilla Ice Cream
- The History of Ice Cream
- The History of the Most Common Ice Cream Flavors
- A Short History of Frozen Yogurt: How Did Your Favorite Frozen Treat Get to You?
- The Sweet, Sweet History of Gelato
- Ice Cream Preferences in the U.S.
- Ice Cream Around the World
- The Geography of Ice Cream
- The Divine and Delicious Art of Gelato
- Fun Facts About Ice Cream That Will Surprise You
- Ice Cream, Gelato, Gelati, and Custard: What's the Difference?
- Ice Cream Across the Nation: 4 Shops You Need to Visit in New York State
- Black History Month: The Father of Ice Cream