Perhaps one of the best things about summer is that all the ice cream stores and stands and frozen yogurt stores suddenly become alive with people. New flavors, custom ice cream cups, frozen yogurt supplies, and more flood the stores, ready for sunny days when everyone is craving a sweet treat. There's nothing better than stopping by your favorite ice cream store and licking a few different flavors off plastic tasting spoons before deciding on one. (Especially since so many of the plastic tasting spoons are so fun now, with bright colors and ergonomically shaped.) The ice cream industry has seen a lot of changes in recent years--from innovations like ice cream cups with lids to the increasingly popular gelato cups or frozen yogurt cups. However, one thing is for sure: Americans will always love to indulge in a sweet treat in the summer and beyond.
Ten Fun Facts About Ice Cream You Probably Didn't Know Before
- A little under 10% of milk that dairy farmers produce is used to make ice cream.
- The International Ice Cream Association (yes, that exists!) member companies recently surveyed customers and found that vanilla still remains the most popular flavor, coming in at 28%.
- Ice cream has about 50% more air after it's been churned.
- Your average Joe Schmoe on the street will eat ice cream about 28.5 times this year.
- Ice cream started being produced on the industrial level in Boston, MA.
- Ice cream cones were born in 1904 during the St. Louis World Fair.
- Before milk based ice cream, it was made from ice.
- Sunday is the best day for ice cream sellers to sell ice cream.
- July has been dubbed National Ice Cream Month in the United States.
- To finish off an ice cream cone, you'll need about 50 licks per cone.
Gelato Gelato is often associated with Europe, specifically Italy. The milkfat is a bit lower than ice cream, at 3.8% and gelato is made with whole milk and little air churned into it. it's denser and softer than ice cream and usually tastes a bit richer (or so many people claim).
With all this ice cream know-how in mind, go out and enjoy a frozen treat or get some samples on plastic tasting spoons while wowing your friends and family in the process.