Ice cream—the ultimate frozen treat—holds a special place in the hearts (and freezers) of countless Americans. In fact, nearly 90% of U.S. households regularly indulge in this sweet, creamy delight. But the ice cream we know and love today has undergone quite the transformation over time before landing in our frozen dessert cups.
A Frosty Journey Through Time
Rewind to the second century BC, and we find Alexander the Great savoring a cool, refreshing snack: shaved ice flavored with honey. This was merely the beginning of ice cream's long, scrumptious history.
Fast forward a thousand years, and we witness Marco Polo returning to Italy from the East, bringing with him an assortment of recipes, including the precursor to modern-day sherbet.
Over the ensuing centuries, sherbet gradually morphed into Cream Ice, a dinner staple for England's King Charles I in the 17th century. During the churning process, ice cream gains about 50% more air, giving it its unmistakable texture. Meanwhile, in Italy, gelato variants began to appear—characterized by less milk fat and air during churning, akin to a custard. Today, gelato is served in gelato cups to distinguish it from its ice cream counterpart.
Ice cream first made its appearance in America in the late 1700s, with the New York Gazette running the first ice cream advertisement in 1777. This frozen treat quickly became a favorite among all, including the nation's founding fathers. President Thomas Jefferson, for instance, was quite fond of making vanilla ice cream—the second most popular flavor in America.
A Frozen Renaissance: Gourmet Flavors and Eco-Friendly Supplies
Today, ice cream is more than just a sweet treat—it's a gourmet delicacy. Artisan ice cream makers are devoted to filling your mini tasting spoons with an array of unique flavors, from goat cheese to white pepper.
Frozen yogurt, too, has evolved with creative and innovative frozen yogurt supplies that offer toppings like mochi and coconut shreds. The dessert industry has also become more environmentally conscious, providing eco-friendly supplies for guilt-free indulgence.
Ready to build your business? Discover how custom branding can elevate your frozen dessert game!
- Ten Facts About Ice Cream You Didn't Know Before
- Sweet Science: Make Your Own Ice Cream
- 5 Interesting Tidbits About Ice Cream: America's Favorite Dessert
- The Ice Cream Making Process
- A Sweet History of Ice Cream
- The True Wonders of Vanilla Ice Cream
- The History of Ice Cream
- The History of the Most Common Ice Cream Flavors
- A Short History of Frozen Yogurt: How Did Your Favorite Frozen Treat Get to You?
- The Sweet, Sweet History of Gelato
- Ice Cream Preferences in the U.S.
- Ice Cream Around the World
- The Geography of Ice Cream
- The Divine and Delicious Art of Gelato
- Fun Facts About Ice Cream That Will Surprise You
- Ice Cream, Gelato, Gelati, and Custard: What's the Difference?
- Ice Cream Across the Nation: 4 Shops You Need to Visit in New York State
- Black History Month: The Father of Ice Cream