While vanilla has reigned supreme as the world's favorite ice cream flavor for many years, a new report from the International Dairy Foods Association (IDFA) shows that it may be at risk for holding that position for much longer.
For the 90% of U.S. households that regularly choose a sweet, frozen treat, vanilla reigns supreme, but why? According to ice cream expert and IDFA vice president, Cary Frye, it is simply because of its versatility.
She explains, "Vanilla has long been the best-selling ice cream flavor not only because it is creamy and delicious, but also because of its ability to enhance so many other desserts and treats. It tastes great topped by whipped cream and fudge sauce in a sundae, with root beer in a float or atop a warm slice of apple pie,” WISTV reports.
So what other flavors rounded out the list? Here are the top 10 flavors and some great toppings to enhance that ice cream cup of yours. If you want a list of the most popular ice cream toppings, check out our article here which talks about the 11 most popular ice cream toppings that every store must carry. Improve your business with new ice cream flavors and yummy toppings to make sure your customers are happy and leaving with satisfied smiles. Let's sink our spoons in!
- Toppings to try out: Strawberry sauce, butterscotch, sprinkles.
- Toppings to try out: Hot fudge, cookie crumbles, strawberries.
- Toppings to try out: Cookie dough, caramel sauce, sea salt. Anything to enhance the cookies already in the ice cream!
- Toppings to try out: Chocolate sauce, chocolate shavings, Oreos!
- Toppings to try out: Chocolate sauce, peanut butter cups, raspberries.
- Toppings to try out: Crushed toffee pieces, blueberries, and popcorn.
- Different from its chocolate counterpart, this ice cream focuses only on the vanilla and cookie dough flavors. Toppings to try out: Fresh blueberries, caramel sauce, M&Ms.
- Toppings to try out: Caramel sauce, pineapple, gummy bears.
- Toppings to try out: Butterscotch, whipped cream, cookie dough. Might as well go all out!
- Toppings to try: Hot fudge, cherries, mini peanut butter cups.A topping for every flavor.
With these flavor and topping pairings in mind, your ice cream cups will be overflowing with deliciousness that will make your whole house happy. So with summer being here, go out and try all of them and let us know what flavor pair is your favorite and don't be afraid to be creative!
Have you come up with your own favorite topping and ice cream flavor combo? If so, let us know!