Ice cream, the favorite frozen dessert of many, is enjoyed by millions all over the globe. No matter the season, an ice cream aficionado will be able to find their favorite flavor pretty much everywhere they go.. But have you ever wondered what your ice cream habits are compared to others around the world? Have you ever asked yourself the question of what country consumes the most ice cream? Here are some fun facts about worldwide ice cream consumption.
The United States
- It is no secret that Americans love ice cream. They once even held the title of leader in world ice cream consumption, with the average American consuming 26 hefty liters of ice cream per year. Plus, 90% of U.S. households regularly indulge in a sweet, frozen treat so you’ll be hard-pressed to find an American who doesn’t have a pint or two in their freezer! Americans also share their wealth with their neighboring countries and import 60,000 metric tons of the sweet stuff to Mexico, Canada, and the Caribbean every year.
- China overtook the U.S. in world consumption leader in 2014. In that year alone, the country accounted for one-third of all ice cream products consumed worldwide, and the volume sales of ice cream amounted to a whopping 5.9 billion liters. The U.S., on the other hand, came in at 5.8 billion liters.
- New Zealanders know how to cool off! This small island country brings in an impressive statistic of 23 liters of ice cream consumed per person each year. Maybe those kiwi birds enjoy a scoop or two themselves!
- Coming in closely behind their southern neighbors, each Australian eats 18 liters of ice cream annually. This can lead one to wonder, do they ever put the Australian favorite Vegemite on their ice cream?
- Denmark is ranked as the fourth largest ice cream consumer in the world, even though they eat half the amount of ice cream Australians do. Comparatively, this is three times smaller than what Americans eat!
The theme here is easy -- everyone in the world loves ice cream! So feel confident in the fact that no matter where you are in the world, you will be able to grab a spoon and dig right in!