The best ice cream is made from a good base. Once you have the best ice cream base, you can add almost anything to it to make new flavors! This recipe is so good, it's the only ice cream base you'll need.
What You'll Need:
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon salt
How to Make the Best Ice Cream Base:
1. Heat the Milk
Heat your milk and half the sugar on medium-low heat until sugar is fully dissolved. Stir frequently to avoid sticking or burning. Take off the heat and cover. (This is where you'll add your extracts if you choose to use them.)
2. Mix the Eggs
In a mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolks, salt, and the other half of the sugar. Continue stirring until the mixture is fully combined and the consistency of thick cake batter.
Pour your partially-cooled milk mixture into your eggs. Do this in a slow stream, whisking constantly.
4. Reheat it
Pour this mixture back into your pot. Heat it again on medium-low, stirring constantly. Cook until it coats the back of your spoon. Don't let it boil.
5. Strain it
Pour your mixture through a fine mesh sieve or cheese cloth. This will ensure that your ice cream base is entirely smooth.
Stir your cream into your strained mixture. Whisk until fully combined. Refrigerate your mixture for at least two hours, preferably overnight.
7. Make it
Pour your ice cream base into your ice cream machine and process it according to the manufacturer's instructions. (This is when you'll fold in any mix-ins.)
This ice cream base is unflavored, so it's perfect for any flavorings or mix-ins you want.
Here are a few combinations to try:
- Classic White: 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract + 1 teaspoon almond extract + 1/4 cup toasted almond slices
- Cherry Chocolate: 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract + 2 teaspoons almond extract + 1/2 cup dark chocolate chunks + 1/2 cup maraschino cherries cut into quarters
- Butter Pecan: 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract + 2 teaspoon rum extract + 1 teaspoon salt + 1/4 cup caramel sauce + 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Birthday Cake: 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract + 1 teaspoon almond extract + 1/4 cup rainbow sprinkles + 1/4 cup colored buttercream frosting
- Peppermint Bark: 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract + 2 teaspoons peppermint extract + 1/4 cup white chocolate chips + 1/2 cup peppermint pieces
Have you used this ice cream base recipe? Take a picture and tag us on Instagram, we love hearing from you!